  • Subject: Re: lug-bg: [jean-christophe.andre@xxxxxxx: [Tech] [rene@xxxxxxxxxx: Slackware vs Debian (was: Re: Quality of security assurance with Debian vs. RedHat vs. SuSE)]]
  • From: valeri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (* Valeri Angelov *)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:09:09 +0300

Hehehe :-) Dobre go kaza :P~
----- Original Message -----
From: "Teodor Georgiev" <teodor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lug-bg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: lug-bg: [jean-christophe.andre@xxxxxxx: [Tech]
[rene@xxxxxxxxxx: Slackware vs Debian (was: Re: Quality of security
assurance with Debian vs. RedHat vs. SuSE)]]

> tyi lyzhe baba decata, che izqli iaicata :)))

Debian?

> [...]
> >           finding a given piece of software already packaged is much
> >           higher.  My /usr/local is continously diminishing in size as I
> >           can automate the maintenance of packages I previous had to
> >           install by hand.
> >         * Packages come pre-configured, practically always in a very
> >           sensible way, so the effort of adaptation of the installed
> >           software is minimal, very often just answering a few debconf
> >           questions.  Some packages are more complicated, like INN, but
> >           in any case it runs sensibly out of the box so you point of
> >           departure is better.
> >         * Locating, downloading and installing a package is just one
> >           command, which is so much easier than in Slackware, where you
> >           have to locate and download the package by hand.
> >         * Dependencies are handled automatically by apt-get, so there is
> >           no time wasted hunting down all the prerequisites for a
> >           packages.  Just "apt-get install package" and you'llbe asked
> >           if there are missing dependencies.
> >         * The division between stable, testing and unstable gives a very
> >           useful choice between several versions of the same package.
> >           With a bit of skill in pinning it is very easy to have mixed
> >           installs.  Personally I use mostly woody with a touch of sid.
> >         * Day to day maintenance is a breeze.  I have a weekly cronjob
> >           that does a "apt-get update; apt-get -s dist-upgrade" so I get
> >           a report of what's new every week.  The actual upgrade is just
> >           "apt-get dist-upgrade" which I do by hand.
> >         * The upgrade path is incredibly smooth.  With Slackware I
> >           normally kept two root file systems, and I installed
> >           alternately on one or the other, so I could always return to a
> >           working system if the install went wrong.  Afterwards there
> >           was a period where I would move configuration files from the
> >           old system to the new.  There was no safe way of moving from
> >           one major release to the next less of reinstalling.  With
> >           Debian it is little more than changing the sources.list and
> >           doing an "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade".  I have
> >           noticed that an upgrade from potato to woody could require an
> >           "apt-get install apt dpkg dpkg-utils" before the dist-upgrade,
> >           because there had been some changes in functionality in apt
> >           and dpkg, but this is a minor issue compared to a complete
> >           reinstall.
> >         * Debian packaging is much more complicated than Slackware's,
> >           but also much more powerful.  There is a rather steep learning
> >           curve, but once apprehended, almost everything can be achieved
> >           with just the three programs apt-get(8), apt-cache(8) and
> >           dpkg(8) from a commandline.  Building you own packages is a
> >           bit complicated, but it can be learned in a day if necessary.
> >
> > Besides these practical things you get a community of devoted
> > maintainers, a centralised bugtracking system, a social contract,
> > written policies with a steadfast dedication to free software,
> > numerous fora for user to user communication (email and web-based), ...

наши приятели

линукс за българи
http://linux-bg.org

FSA-BG
http://fsa-bg.org

OpenFest
http://openfest.org

FreeBSD BG
http://bg-freebsd.org

KDE-BG
http://kde.fsa-bg.org/

Gnome-BG
http://gnome.cult.bg/

проект OpenFMI
http://openfmi.net

NetField Forum
http://netField.ludost.net/forum/

Linux-Bulgaria.ORG

Mailing list messages are © Copyright their authors.